CELF Participants LOG IN HERE to access CELF’s curriculum library.
Why Education for Sustainability?
Our world is rapidly changing. Education for Sustainability (EfS) challenges students to prepare for their future today while stimulating academic engagement.
- EfS students make real-life decisions that balance their personal well being as members of local and global communities for the good of all.
- EfS teachers engage their students in an interactive learning process that applies the habits of systems thinking needed to meet the challenges of the 21st Century.
- EfS Schools promote a collaborative and cooperative learning community in which learning extends beyond the classroom connecting to real world social, economic, and environmental challenges.
CELF’s professional learning model engages educators in interactive learning experiences that help them view their work with students through the lens of sustainability. CELF’s facilitators work side-by-side with teachers as they design programs that integrate both the big ideas of sustainability and EfS standards into their existing curricula while creating EfS classroom and school-wide learning opportunities.
CELF applies the community-building principles of EfS in every aspect of our work, creating a learning community among workshop members, CELF facilitators, and with related outside agencies when appropriate. We believe that when teachers belong to an effective culture of collaboration and cooperation, they are inspired to create this culture with their students. CELF facilitators deepen the learning experience with interactive hands-on activities that can be taken back to the classroom for immediate implementation.
The concepts of sustainability are universal, but every district and school starts from a different place. Whether you have a handful of knowledgeable teachers, one enthusiastic administrator or a new green building, CELF can help you take the next steps towards infusing your curriculum and school culture with education for a sustainable future.
We can help:
- Conduct gap analyses of curriculum maps
- Identify curriculum integration opportunities and priorities
- Connect administrators, teachers and school community members with resources on EfS curriculum, instructional strategies, rubrics, meaningful action projects, and experts in the field
- Train teachers in our Summer Institute, provide on-site introductory training or develop a customized educational program for your school or district
- Tie your curriculum into facilities improvements to take advantage of a green facilities project at your school
See our Success Stories