2017 CELF Summer Institute: Education for Sustainability
for K-12 educators
July 10 - 13, Manhattanville College • 2900 Purchase St. • Purchase, NY 10577
Sessions run 8:30am - 4pm each day. Cocktail Celebration in the Castle at 6pm on July 11th. Optional evening activities other days.
2017 Themes: Water - Equity & Social Justice - Climate Change
Register by May 1, 2017 for early-bird rates!
New for 2017: Leadership and Team-Building track offered for returning participants and those looking to make whole school change.
The Annual CELF Summer Institute in Education for Sustainability (EfS) is an intensive 4-day workshop that enables teachers to integrate the concepts of sustainability into their existing curricula. The Institute equips K-12 teachers with practices and teaching methods to address the core concepts of EfS – the intersection of social, economic, and ecological systems – and how the balance of those three systems is vital to a sustainable future, and relevant to all subject areas.
Each Institute begins by building a learning community and a common vocabulary around sustainability, and progresses with hands-on activities, case studies, guest presentations, evening excursions and field work. The schedule includes supported planning time so that participants will have tangible materials to bring back to their classrooms.
Instructional Design track participants will:
- Create student-centered sustainability projects using problem, project and place-based learning practices.
- Learn to apply concepts like systems thinking, interdependence and community to instructional practice.
- Connect Next Gen science standards with the principles and practices of sustainability.
- Engage in hands-on learning activities that can be used with students.
Leadership & Team-Building track participants will:
- Develop new school change-making strategies.
- Learn to build effective stakeholder teams and expand connections with the broader community and neighborhood.
- Plan school-wide initiatives.
Benefits and Resources for all:
- Gain access to CELF’s new online Resource Library.
- Align curriculum projects with national Education for Sustainability (EfS) standards and performance indicators.
- Learn from and share best practices with Institute facilitators and peers from across the region and around the world.
- Access Post-Institute support for on-going EfS implementation.