CELF Summer Institute: Education for Sustainability
for K-12 educators 2018 Summer Institute Flyer
July 9 - 12, 2018 • Manhattanville College • 2900 Purchase St. • Purchase, NY 10577
Sessions run 8:30 a.m. - 4 p.m. each day. Cocktail Celebration in the Castle at 6 p.m. on July 11th. Optional activities include guided hikes through Westmoreland Sanctuary and Cranberry Lake Preserve.
2018 Themes: Leading School Change & Instructional Practices in Education for Sustainability
The Annual CELF Summer Institute in Education for Sustainability (EfS) is an intensive 4-day workshop that enables teachers to integrate the concepts of sustainability into their existing curricula. The Institute equips K-12 teachers with practices and teaching methods to address the core concepts of EfS – the intersection of social, economic, and ecological systems – and how the balance of those three systems is vital to a sustainable future, and relevant to all subject areas.
The Institute begins by building a learning community and a common vocabulary around sustainability, and progresses with hands-on activities, case studies, guest presentations, evening excursions and field work. The schedule includes supported planning time so that participants will have tangible materials to bring back to their classrooms.
Instructional Design strand participants will:
- Create student-centered sustainability projects using problem, project and place-based learning practices.
- Learn to apply concepts like systems thinking, interdependence and community to instructional practice.
- Connect Next Gen science standards with the principles and practices of sustainability.
- Engage in hands-on learning activities that can be used with students.
Leading School Change strand participants will:
- Develop new school change-making strategies.
- Learn to build effective stakeholder teams and expand connections with the broader community and neighborhood.
- Plan school-wide initiatives.
Benefits and Resources for all:
- Align curriculum projects with national Education for Sustainability (EfS) standards and performance indicators.
- Learn from and share best practices with Institute facilitators and peers from across the region and around the world.
- Gain access to CELF’s new online Resource Library.
- Access Post-Institute support for on-going EfS implementation.